Millcreek-West Unity’s Board of Education voted unanimously to accept a donation from the Hilltop Athletic Boosters of the funding to repair the school’s all-weather track. The Boosters did their homework, coming to the board with three different options for maintenance to be done to the track. The Boosters had approved at their September meeting proceeding with the option of repairing/filling in the spots on the track that needed it, applying a binder coat and restriping the lanes. The estimated cost of this option is $19,900 and the work is expected to last 8-10 years
“The majority of the work needs to be done in Lane 1 and where the hurdles are,” said Troy Grime, representing the Athletic Boosters. “We are hoping to have the work done in early summer after the conclusion of our track season. The Boosters will be paying for this work. There will be no cost to the school.”
Board member Roger Detwiler made the motion to accept the recommendation of the Boosters and the board agreed. Board President Ron Baker thanked the Boosters for their generous donation to the school.
In other business, the board accepted a number of items through their consent agenda. The board approved participation agreements with Montpelier Exempted Village Schools and Edon Local Schools for Special Education services for the 2012-2013 school year.
A contract was approved with Dale Gearhart for the masonry work on the dugouts at the ball fields at a cost of $13,150. Payment of $43.16 to Kay and Seth Mansfield was approved in accordance with Resolution Agreement resolving the ORC Docket No. 15-08-1196.
The following were approved for employment:
• Angie Beauregard, Sarah Bell, Kenneth Herbert, Phyllis Johnson, Briana Krukowski, Mark Mercer, Melanie Smith, Gary Solarik and Kimberly Wright as substitute teachers;
• Karina Dickinson as a substitute secretary and para-professional;
• Troy Grime as 8th grade basketball coach;
• Tm Norris as assistant softball coach;
• Abbie Smith and Thomas Smith as Mentor Teachers;
• Sheryl DeGroff as District Mentor Coordinator with a salary notice for increase to $1,000 due to the number of entry teachers;
• Ron Schmitt as a volunteer assistant softball coach;
• Kylee Bostelman moved to Step 1 Column Five on the salary schedule retroactive to FY12;
• Andrew Miller received a contract for the remainder of the 2012-13 school year; and
• Stacy Wheeler was hired as a substitute secretary retroactive to October 17, 2012.
Donations of school supplies were accepted from West Unity United Methodist Church,
Melburn United Methodist Church and John and Gloria Paine. Overnight scrimmages were approved for the school’s softball team and custodian David Chester was granted FMLA beginning October 29, 2012.
The board extended their best wishes to Brady Livensparger and Madeleine Routhier as they represent Hilltop in the Regional Cross Country Tournament.
With no further business the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Millcreek-West Unity Board of Education is November 19 at 6 PM in the High School band room.
© 2012 – 2016, Newspaper Staff. All rights reserved.