3 Men’s Basketball Teams In Isolation Over Virus Concerns

Illinois-Chicago guard Godwin Boahen (25) defends against Northern Kentucky guard Bryson Langdon (5) during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game for the Horizon League men’s tournament championship in Indianapolis, Tuesday, March 10, 2020. Northern Kentucky won 71-62. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)


LOUDONVILLE, N.Y. (AP) — Men’s basketball players, coaches and staff at Siena College, Illinois-Chicago and Wright State are self-isolating as a precaution after two officials who called the school’s games tested positive for the coronavirus.

Siena spokesman Mike Demos said Thursday the school learned earlier in the week that two officials who worked Siena’s game against Manhattan in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Tournament on Wednesday, March 11 at Jim Whelan Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey had tested positive for COVID-19.

Demos said New York state and Albany County health department officials advised self-isolation for 14 days from the date of possible exposure. Fans who attended the game are not considered to be at risk, he said.

The two officials were not identified.

The America East Conference said one or both of the officials also worked its tournament game between Maine and Vermont at Patrick Gym in Burlington, Vermont on March 7 and UIC-Wright State at Indiana Farmers Coliseum in Indianapolis in the Horizon League Tournament on March 9 as well as Manhattan-Fairfield in the MAAC Tournament on March 10.

University of Vermont spokesman Enrique Corredera said state health department officials did not warrant quarantine strategies because of the time gap between the game and the onset of symptoms. The game officials developed the symptoms at least three days later, he said.

But Horizon League spokesman Dan Gliot confirmed the two conference schools have been instructed to self-isolate.

“A positive test for the official was confirmed on March 18, and we further advised our men’s basketball student-athletes and staff,” UIC said in a statement.

Wright State officials also issued a statement, saying in part that it had asked the men’s team to do “their best” to self-isolate and following social distancing guidelines.

“Wright State is closely monitoring this rapidly evolving situation and continuing to follow direction from federal, state and local authorities to make decisions based on the most up-to-date information available,” the school said.


 

Be the first to comment on "3 Men’s Basketball Teams In Isolation Over Virus Concerns"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*