Close Menu
The Village Reporter
  • Home
  • Subscribe
  • Current Edition
  • Store Locations
  • Photo Albums
  • Rate Card
  • Classifieds
  • Submit News
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Friday, August 29
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Login
The Village Reporter
  • Home
  • Subscribe
  • Current Edition
  • Store Locations
  • Photo Albums
  • Rate Card
  • Classifieds
  • Submit News
The Village Reporter
Local History

Historic Reflection: (1874) – Northwest Grange No. 413, Williams County’s First Grange (Northwest Center – Cooney, Ohio)

By Newspaper StaffFebruary 12, 2018Updated:March 29, 20232 Comments1 Min Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Today in Williams County history (January 20, 1874, 144 years ago): Northwest Grange No. 413, Williams County’s first Grange, was organized. A Northwest Township correspondent submitted the following report of the Grange’s organization to the Bryan Press newspaper: “Last evening Mr. H. Hayes, State Deputy, organized a Grange in Northwest Township with a full membership for charter and with the following officers installed: W. H. Parsons, Master; D. Coolman, Overseer; S. D. Pond, Lecturer; I. Parsons, Steward; A. Johnson, Chaplain; N. Kellogg, Assistant Steward; W. Rice, Treasurer; W. Gore, Secretary; B. Cook, Gate Keeper; Mrs. A. E. Gore, Ceres; Mrs. H. Johnson, Flora; Mrs. R. Potts, Pomona; Mrs. E. Myers, Lady Assistant Steward.”

In 1882, Northwest Grange erected this two-story wooden frame structure northeast of the intersection of Ohio Route 49 and County Road P-50 in Northwest Center/Cooney. The first floor was occupied by general stores with the Grange hall on the second floor. The historic structure is today unoccupied and has fallen into disrepair.

This February 3, 2017 photograph of the former Northwest Grange hall is from the Kevin Maynard collection–Courtesy of the Williams County, Ohio, Local History Exchange. 

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous Article(1913) – First Community Christmas Tree (Bryan, Ohio)
Next Article (1880) – Former Pioneer Methodist Episcopal Church (Pioneer, Ohio)
Newspaper Staff
  • Facebook

Related Posts

Historic Reflection: 1909 – Airship Strobel

August 29, 2025

Historic Reflection: 1908 – Lester School

August 29, 2025

Historic Reflection: 1923 – Metamora East Main Street Fire

August 22, 2025

Historic Reflection: 1901 – Bryan Unpaved Roads

August 22, 2025

2 Comments

  1. Lonna on September 27, 2020 7:52 pm

    When was the last year this store was operating?

    Reply
  2. Ferlin on November 5, 2021 7:37 pm

    Any pics exist from its hey day?

    Reply
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Account
  • Login
Historic County Tributes
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Subscribe
  • Current Edition
  • Store Locations
  • Photo Albums
  • Rate Card
  • Classifieds
  • Submit News
© 2025 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?