Approval at the August 18, 2022 West Unity Village Council meeting, was given for: June Bills, Regular minutes of July 14, 2022 meeting and Special meeting minutes from August 11, 2022. Also approved were:
- Resolution 07-2022-18 in the matter of receipt and action on bids received for the Village of West Unity, Jackson St., Jefferson St. and Church St. water line replacement and declaring same an emergency.
- Ordinance 2022-4 An ordinance amending Ordinance 1113.24(d) and € regarding storm sewer pipe materials and driveway culverts in open ditches.
- Resolution 08-2022-20 a resolution accepting the annexation of 5.96 acres in Brady Township but not removing the same from Brady Township pursuant to Ohio Revised Code Section 709.04, and declaring an emergency
- Resolution 08-2022-19 a resolution amending Resolution 1986-4 by expanding the boundaries of the village’s existing Community Reinvestment Area #2 to include all parcels within village limits; extending the exemption periods for all property types, and repealing Resolutions #’s 1992-1, 1992-2, 1992-11, 1993-1, 1993-3, 1994-6, 1996-1, 1998-4 as to Community Reinvestment Areas #1 and #3 and declaring the same an emergency.
- Ordinance 2022-6 2022 Revised Permanent Annual Appropriation
- Ordinance 2022-7 amending the official Zoning Map of the Village of West Unity, Ohio to reflect new zoning of Part (1.349 Acres) of Parcel No. 074-080-05-006.000 and declaring an emergency.
- Ordinance 2022-8 authorizing advertisement for bids for the sale of real estate owned by the village pursuant to ORC, and declaring an emergency
In his monthly report, Village Administrator Josh Fritsch said that the village has one revision left on CRA; the concrete work is done at Kamco; Jones and Henry Engineering will open bids on September 28 for the Lincoln St. Project; gave a reminder of Big Trash to be held on September 22 and 23 for the north side of town and September 29 and 30 for the south side. The Splash Pad is getting a lot of use and the playground equipment will be coming soon.
Chief J.R. Jones informed council that Robert Smith, Jr. will be stepping down from full-time to part-time and that he hired Jacob Spiess as the new full-time officer. A supervisor will be riding with the new officer.
Mayor Leu asked Council about any thoughts on the name for the new road and he suggested Hilltop Lane. Councilor Terri LeBowsky suggested Washington as West Unity does not have a street by that name.
Concerning the Christmas in the Park event, applications are in the office. He shared that a thank you letter had come from the family of Ben Westfall.
The mayor complimented the cleaners of the Kissell Building, saying that the floor was cleaned and looks nice. He also thanked Millcreek West Unity Schools for letting the village use their floor scrubber.
In her clerk’s report, Sarah Higdon reported that the interest rate on the sweep account is going up and the village should see an increase in revenue from that.
Solicitor Katie Rakes had turned in her resignation letter on August 10, 2022 and said that she could extend her contract until a new solicitor is found.
A resolution will be prepared for that for the next council meeting. All the council members and staff thanked Ms. Rakes for her service to the community and said they will miss her.
The next regular council meeting was scheduled for September 8, 2022 at 7:30 at town hall.