Close Menu
  • Home
  • Subscribe
  • Current Edition
  • Store Locations
  • Photo Albums
  • Rate Card
  • Classifieds
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Sunday, February 15
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube TikTok
Login
The Village Reporter
  • Home
  • Subscribe
  • Current Edition
  • Store Locations
  • Photo Albums
  • Rate Card
  • Classifieds
  • Contact Us
The Village Reporter
Local History

Historic Reflection: 1913: Edon Downtown Fire

By Newspaper StaffJanuary 24, 2024Updated:January 24, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link

HISTORIC REFLECTION … 1913 – Fire destroyed four structures in Edon’s downtown business district, causing $10,000 to $15,000 in dam-ages. Fire was discovered about 11 p.m. in the rear of George Ries’ wooden frame butcher shop. Although the Edon Fire Department was quickly on the scene, the blaze had already made considerable headway, and strong winds hampered their efforts. By using the village’s hand-operated fire pumper, and with assistance from the Montpelier Fire Department, firefighters were able to save all but the Ries’ building (the north half of which housed the Edon Commercial newspaper office), the Perfection Climber factory building, Dr. G.C. Reese’s veterinary infirmary and John Doty’s wooden frame photography studio. The fire damaged S.S. Eyster’s implement store, Dr. E.F. Brandon’s office, and cracked a large plate glass window in Kiess’ jewelry store across the street. This photograph, taken by John Doty the morning after the fire, shows where the Edon Commercial office, Ries’ butcher shop and the Perfection Climber building stood on the left; in the center are the concrete block walls of Dr. Reese’s veterinary clinic; and on the right the former site of Doty’s photography studio. This vintage image is from the Williams County Public Library Huffman Photographic Archives.


 

Previous ArticleTax & Financial Guide
Next Article Historic Reflection: 1890’s – Wauseon Men’s Band
Newspaper Staff
  • Facebook

Related Posts

Historic Reflection: 1900’s – Metamora Depot & Telegraph

February 15, 2026 Local History

Historic Reflection: 1800’s – Pioneer Hotel

February 5, 2026 Local History

Historic Reflection: 1945 – Sauder Woodworking Fire

February 5, 2026 Local History

Historic Reflection: 1800’s – Frisbie Brothers

January 30, 2026 Local History

Comments are closed.

Account
  • Login
Sponsored By
Deadline Tuesday!
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Subscribe
  • Current Edition
  • Store Locations
  • Photo Albums
  • Rate Card
  • Classifieds
  • Contact Us
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?