Williams County History (December 26, 1955): On December 26, 1955, Donald Reineke opened Bryan Lanes at 1307 West High Street with the latest and best in bowling equipment. At that time, there was only one other bowling alley in Williams County—Palace Recreation on the second floor of the Greek building on East High Street, which had operated six alleys since 1937-38. The six-lane Montpelier Bowling Center at 125 Empire Street was destroyed by fire in 1952. Bryan Lanes used semiautomatic pinsetters and “pin boys” until automatic pinsetters were installed in November 1957. In 1960, the facility was expanded from 12 to 18 lanes. Bryan Lanes also offered billiards, a snack bar and a complete ball drilling and repair service. In 1974, more than 1,450 adult and student league bowlers competed at the facility. This exterior shot of Bryan Lanes, taken July 2, 1956 by local photographer Clarence C. “Dutch” Garber, is from the Williams County Public Library Photographic Archives.