NEW MEETING VENUE … Members of the Edgerton Village Council practiced social distancing during their recent Village Council meeting. Subsequent meetings will be held via teleconference. (PHOTO BY JEREMY SCOTT, STAFF)
By: Jeremy Scott
The Edgerton Village Council met on April 6th in regular session. Due to social distancing protocols the meeting was held in the gym of town hall.
During the meeting, the Council passed the second reading of an ordinance that will raise the electric rates for Village residents. The Council also passed a resolution authorizing participation in the annual ODOT road salt contracts.
It was also announced that a $3,000 scholarship has been awarded from American Municipal Power (AMP Ohio) to Edgerton student Eric Gruver.
The Village also added the following mandates due to the COVID-19 virus:
- Local taxes are not due until July 15th.
- Late fees for utility bills are being waived until further notice.
- If any residents feel they will have an issue paying their utility bills beginning with bills due April 10th,2020, they are urged to contact the Village to work out a payment plan. Arrangements will be made on a case by case basis.
- No water meters will be disconnected for nonpayment.
- No electric meters will be disconnected for nonpayment, but a limiter may be installed.
- The Village Offices will remain closed to the public until May 1st. Employees will still be manning the phones at 419-298-2912. A drop box is available to deposit utility payments, or payments may be made by phone for credit or debit payments
- All playgrounds inside the Village will be closed until May 1st.
- Any future Council and Committee Meetings will be held by teleconference. Detail are still being worked out.
- Due to the Village’s website being updated, any pertinent information will be relayed via Mayor Robert Day’s Facebook page.
Council Member Leslie VanAusdale commented that by Mayor Day using his personal Facebook page would leave the perception that Mr. Day is speaking for the Village Administration as a whole.
Mayor Day commented that he would remove the Edgerton Mayor title from his page.
The next meeting of the Edgerton Village Council will be Monday April 20th.
Jeremy can be reached at email@example.com